MA Theft and Larceny Defense Lawyer / Boston Theft and Larceny Charges
A theft crime occurs when a person takes someone else’s property without permission.
There are several theft crimes in Massachusetts, including:
• Larceny by Stealing
• Larceny of Leased or Rented Property
• Larceny of a Motor Vehicle
• Larceny by False Pretenses
• Credit Card Fraud
• Petty Larceny
• Receiving Stolen Goods
• Grand Larceny
• Identity Theft
• Larceny by check
• Theft of Services
• Larceny by embezzlement
Theft and larceny cases are generally tried in district court, although more serious charges are heard in superior court. If the property in question is worth less than $250, the charge is a misdemeanor. Anything over $250, and you’ll be facing a felony charge.
In order to be convicted of theft, the prosecution has to prove three elements:
• The defendant took and carried away some type of property
• Someone else owned or possessed that property
• The defendant intended to permanently deprive the owner of the property
Depending on the circumstances, a conviction for theft or larceny can lead to lengthy incarceration and hefty fines. Because the stakes are so high, you need a high-quality criminal defense attorney to fight the charges. There are ways to attack the prosecution’s evidence – call us today for a free telephone consultation at (781) 797-0555 today.